|"The Bizarro Jerry"|
|Air Date||October 3, 1996|
|← The Soul Mate · The Little Kicks →|
Elaine breaks up with her boyfriend Kevin (from "The Soul Mate"), but they decide to "just be friends." Much to Elaine's surprise, Kevin is thrilled at the idea, and starts becoming a much more reliable friend than Jerry. Meanwhile, Kramer accidentally gets a job at a company called Brand/Leland when he aids an employee in the hall and starts going to meetings. He soon finds out he fits right in and starts working there for no pay, stating his reason as doing it "just for me."
Jerry starts dating Gillian, an attractive woman whose only flaw is that she has "man hands." George uses a picture of Gillian to get into the "forbidden city," a club of attractive women and models that used to be a meat packing plant, by saying that Gillian is his late fiancée Susan Ross. Unfortunately, his luck ends when he accidentally burns the picture with a hair dryer. Jerry becomes bored at home, now that Kramer is "working", Elaine is always hanging out with Kevin and his friends (Gene and Feldman, who are complete opposites of George and Kramer), and George only comes to him when he wants something.
By the end of the episode, Kramer gets fired by Leland because of his shoddy work (due to his "lack of business training"). Jerry wants to be "just friends" with Gillian, who doesn't take too well to the idea. As he tries to get another picture of her from her purse for George, she grabs Jerry's wrist (which Jerry later describes as almost ripping his arm right out of the socket). George tries to use a picture of a model from a magazine to get back into the club, but his plan is foiled when he accidentally confronts exactly the same model from the magazine picture and gets kicked out. Elaine decides to stay with her "Bizarro friends", but changes her mind when they don't take to some of the normal things she usually does with Jerry; i.e., eating from the fridge and knocking someone down with her outbursts of "get out!"
Later, George decides to take Jerry to the location of the club, but is mystified when all they find is a deserted meat packing plant.
During the credits, a scene with the bizarro friends is played out at Kevin's apartment, where they act all friendly to one another.
Notes About Nothing
- The signature Seinfeld theme song is played backwards throughout the tag, another reference to the "Bizarro" theme.
- Kramer's work sequence is set to the tune of the song "Morning Train (Nine to Five)" by Sheena Easton. The song would be used again in Season 9's "The Butter Shave", when George is hired at Play Now.
- When George is combing his hair at home, there is a poster of Dennis Franz in the background, which George uses as a guide for combing his hair.
- The actress who plays Gillian is Kristin Bauer. She has been cast in various TV shows, in particular CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Crossing Jordan and Desperate Housewives, usually for only one episode. She had been featured in the February 2002 issue of Maxim as the #50 girl.
- This episode features Kramer's 300th entrance.
The concept of a Bizarro universe is directly taken from the Superman universe, in addition to verbal references to Superman: There is a Bizarro Superman action figure in Kevin's apartment.
- Jerry: Yeah, like Bizarro Superman—Superman's exact opposite, who lives in the backwards Bizarro world. Up is down; down is up. He says "Hello" when he leaves, "Goodbye" when he arrives.
- Elaine: Shouldn't he say "bad bye"? Isn't that the opposite of goodbye?
- Jerry: No, it's still goodbye.
- Elaine: Does he live underwater?
- Jerry: No.
- Elaine: Is he black?
- Jerry: Look, just forget the whole thing. Alright?
The reference was also mocked by Elaine as to how come the Bizarro Superman doesn't live underwater and isn't black.
|Season Eight Episodes|
|The Foundation | The Soul Mate | The Bizarro Jerry | The Little Kicks | The Package | The Fatigues | The Checks | The Chicken Roaster | The Abstinence | The Andrea Doria | The Little Jerry | The Money | The Comeback | The Van Buren Boys | The Susie | The Pothole | The English Patient | The Nap | The Yada Yada | The Millennium | The Muffin Tops | The Summer of George|