|Air Date||September 16, 1992|
|← The Trip, Part 2 · The Ticket →|
George Costanza decides he wants to be a sitcom writer and pitches the idea of a “show about nothing”, detailing the life of Jerry Seinfeld to NBC (obviously based on Seinfeld, the actual show). He feels the actual pitch didn't go very well, partially due to “Crazy” Joe Davola, an NBC executive who is mentally unstable and who doesn't seem to like George or Jerry—and is even more annoyed when they mention a party they believe he is invited to, which he did not know about.
Notes About Nothing
- This episode marks the first appearance of Susan Ross who has a long relationship with George.
- This episode also details Larry David's journey in pitching Seinfeld to NBC, since Larry based the character of George on himself.
- This episode originally aired as a one-hour episode with "The Ticket".
- This episode began a story arc for the fourth season.
- When Jerry tells Kramer that he is making a TV show with a character based on him, Kramer insists that he must play Kramer on Jerry's show. This is a reference to when Seinfeld was being developed, Kenny Kramer (Larry David's ex-neighbor who Cosmo Kramer is based on) insisted he must play Kramer on the show if they wanted to use his name.
Jerry (to George): You really need some help. A regular psychiatrist couldn't even help you. You need to go to, like, Vienna or something. You know what I mean? You need to get involved at the university level, like where Freud studied, and have all those people looking at you and checking up on you. That's the kind of help you need. Not the once-a-week for eighty bucks, no. You need a team. A team of psychiatrists working around the clock, thinking about you, having conferences, observing you like the way they did with the elephant man. That's what I'm talking about, because that's the only way you're going to get better.
George: They want you to do a TV show?
Jerry: Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas.
: Come on, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV.
|Season Four Episodes|
|The Trip, Part 1 | The Trip, Part 2 | The Pitch | The Ticket | The Wallet | The Watch | The Bubble Boy | The Cheever Letters | The Opera | The Virgin | The Contest | The Airport | The Pick | The Movie | The Visa | The Shoes | The Outing | The Old Man | The Implant | The Junior Mint | The Smelly Car | The Handicap Spot | The Pilot, Part 1 | The Pilot, Part 2|