|"The Pony Remark"|
|Air Date||January 30, 1991|
|Writer(s)|| Larry David|
|← The Ex-Girlfriend · The Jacket →|
"The Pony Remark" is episode 2 of Season 2, and first aired January 30, 1991.
Jerry's parents Helen Seinfeld and Morty Seinfeld visit Jerry in New York City on their way to the 50th anniversary dinner of their second cousin Manya and her husband Isaac. Though Jerry does not want to go, his parents persuade him to go anyway. During the dinner he remarks, "I hate anyone who ever had a pony when they were growing up!" Manya reacts angrily to Jerry's remark because she had a pony when she was growing up in Poland. Jerry tries to apologize, but Manya gets even more angry and leaves the table. After the dinner, when Jerry's parents are about to leave, Jerry receives a phone call from his uncle Leo, who informs him that his great aunt has died. Jerry and his friends George Costanza and Elaine Benes speculate as to whether his comment may have been a factor.
The funeral is held on the same day that Jerry has a softball championship, and he has difficulty deciding whether to go to her funeral, much to the disgust of Elaine. Jerry ends up going to the funeral, where he, again, apologizes for his remark. Isaac informs him that Manya had forgotten Jerry made the remark. Elaine asks Isaac multiple times about what is going to happen with their apartment; Isaac eventually tells her that Jerry's cousin Jeffrey is going to live in it. When it starts to rain Jerry realizes that the game will be postponed. The following day, after the game, Jerry, George and Elaine go meet at Monk's Cafe, where they discuss the lousy way Jerry played softball. Elaine states she wonders if Manya's spirit put a spell on him.
In a subplot, Jerry and his neighbor Cosmo Kramer bet over whether or not Kramer will rebuild his apartment so that it has multiple flat wooden levels instead of needing furniture. Kramer changes his mind and decides not to build levels, but refuses to pay Jerry, arguing that since he did not attempt it, the bet was invalid.
Notes About Nothing
- This episode was nominated for an Outstanding Writing in a comedy Series Emmy Award.
- Uncle Leo appears for the first time in this episode. It's also the first we hear of Jerry's cousin Jeffrey, who works for the New York Parks Department.
- "The Pony Remark" was the first episode in which Kramer wants to gamble; it is later established that he has a gambling addiction.
- Kramer's idea of redecorating his apartment so it's on different levels is recalled in The Pilot, when the incident is used as audition material for Jerry.
- For this episode's quotes, see The Pony Remark Quotes.
|Season Two Episodes|
| The Ex-Girlfriend | The Pony Remark | The Jacket | The Phone Message | The Apartment | The Statue | The Revenge | The Heart Attack | The Deal | The Baby Shower | The Chinese Restaurant | The Busboy|